Eliza Dresang – In Memoriam
On 4/21/2014, the University of Washington iSchool community lost Eliza Dresang, a respected friend, colleague, teacher and community member. Eliza held the endowed Beverly Cleary Professorship in Children and Youth Services.
Eliza Dresang was a champion of children’s literature and digital resources. Her research, teaching, and service focused on the information behavior and resources of digital youth. She earned her Ph.D. in Library and Information Studies from University of Wisconsin, Madison, in 1981, and her Masters in Library Science from University of California, Los Angeles. She came to the iSchool in 2008 from Florida State University.
She was widely known for her 1999 book, Radical Change: Books for Youth in a Digital Age, which helped countless librarians and teachers better understand and evaluate literature created for computer-savvy children. Her most current research, Project VIEWS2, funded through the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and in partnership with the Washington state public libraries and schools, focused on measuring early literacy outcomes for children from birth to entering kindergarten.
Dr. Dresang chaired the Newbery Award, Pura Belpré Award, Batchelder Award, and the Notable Children’s Books committees, and served on the Jane Addams Children’s Book Award, Caldecott Award, Great Websites for Children, and Notable Audiobooks committees.
The thoughts and prayers of the iSchool community are with Eliza’s family. Learn about memorial services for Eliza.
Her family has established the Eliza T. Dresang Endowed Fellowship in Youth Services to honor and continue her work. Donations may be made online or sent to:
UW Information School
Mary Gates Hall, Suite 370, Box 352840
Seattle, WA 98195-2840
Remembrances of Eliza’s Life and Career
- The School Library Journal published a wonderful obituary on Eliza’s career, including comments by friends and colleagues.
- The Association for Library Service to Children published a remembrance of Eliza on their blog.
- Eliza’s obituary was just published in the Seattle Times
- UW Today posted an announcement about Eliza’s memorial
- The UW Daily posted an article about Eliza’s passing.
- ALA adopted a memorial resolution for Eliza Dresang on July 1 at the annual ALA conference.